Pin It

Bicycle Accident Statistics | Fatal bike crash

Riding a bicycle has been associated with numerous benefits, both from a human and environmental perspective. Such an activity certainly supports physical fitness efforts, which is perhaps why the number of bike riders across the country has been increasing in recent years. Add to that renewed efforts to get drivers off the road in deference to environmental concerns, and one can clearly see the battle for supremacy taking hold between vehicles and bicycles. Sadly, this surge in ridership has lead to an increase in the number of bicycle accidents, the statistics of which are gathered by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. If you were injured in a bicycle accident in Rhode island, then contact RI bicycle accident lawyer, David Slepkow.

Fatal bicycle accident Stats

Annually, more than 700 bicyclists in the United States are killed in an accident. In the most recent 10-year period, the average of cyclists that are involved in a fatal accident has increased to its current 44 years of age. This indicates that adults are becoming more active on the road, and caution must be exercised. It is also estimated that roughly sixty-eight percent of all cyclists killed in an accident where in an urban area. As the cities across America become more congested, the number of fatal accidents appears to be on the rise as well.

According to the State of Rhode islan  Highway Safety Safety Plan  for the Federal Fiscal year of 2016 “The total number of crashes and number of serious injuries sustained involving bicyclists decreased between 2006 and 2009, as shown in Figure 4.21. However, between 2009 and 2011, the serious injuries increased from 11 to 33. They have since declined and were at 18 in 2013. In 2009, 2011, and 2014 Rhode Island had zero bicycle fatalities, in 2012, two bicycle fatalities were reported, and in 2013, there were three. As shown in Figure 4.22, Rhode Island was above the national average for bicyclist fatalities in 2010, 2012, and 2013. The majority of bicycle fatalities are white males between the ages of 6” http://www.dot.ri.gov/documents/community/safety/Highway_Safety_Performance_Plan.pdf  developed and presented by Rhode Island Department of Transportation Office On Highway Safety Two Capitol Hill Providence, RI 02903. Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Safety Administration( Dated July 1, 2015

Bicycle fatality rate for males 7X greater

The 743 deaths that affected bicyclists in a recent year across American accounted for roughly 2 percent of all traffic related fatalities. This equates to a per capita bicycle fatality rate that is 7 times greater for males than females, indicating a possible risk factor moving forward. Sadly, alcohol impairment was reported to be a mitigating factor in roughly 34 percent of fatal bicycle crashes in a recent year. This statistic also reflects on bicyclists themselves, as nearly 24 percent of those killed in an accident while riding a pedal bike had a blood alcohol concentration of greater than .01.

Vast majority of Bicycle crashes occur in urban area

There are other statistics that are relevant to this discussion as well. It is noted that 68 percent of bicycle accidents occur in urban areas, leaving only 32 percent to occur in rural areas. Roughly 57% of all bicycle accidents occur at a non-intersection, and more than 56% occur between the hours of 3pm and midnight. In fact, the fewest number of bicycling accidents (5%) occur between midnight and 6am.

If you or a loved one have been involved in a bicycle accident, regardless of fault, there will be a number of issues that likely need to be dealt with. In order to protect your legal rights right moving forward, you might want to consider contacting a professional and experienced lawyer for assistance.