Many of the nation’s most serious vehicle accidents occur in highly populated suburbs and busy urban areas such as Providence RI. Intersection motor vehicle accidents make up a large percentage of crashes and collisions that injure and kill many individuals every year across the United States and in RI. This is because intersections tend to be highly congested with motorists crossing over interconnecting roadways or turning right or left. Statistics maintained by the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) show that approximately four out of every 10 accidents involving motor vehicles occur at intersections.
Truck, motorcycle and car crashes that happen at intersections tend to produce catastrophic injuries and fatalities. This is because many pedestrians and bicyclists use the intersection as a way to cross traffic in a safe and orderly way. In addition, it is often the location of many side impact collisions and head-on crashes. Typically, the force of impact at these locations often leaves the injured victims with devastating injuries that include:
• Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) and serious head injuries
• Severed limbs and amputation
• Neck injuries including herniated discs and whiplash
• Lacerations, cuts and bruises
• Spinal cord injuries and broken backs causing paraplegia and quadriplegia
• Broken bones and fractures
• Crushing injuries
• Wrongful death
Common Causes of Rhode Island intersection collisions
The dangerous conditions that occur at intersecting roadways in Rhode Island and Providence Plantations typically affect other motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists. The most common causes of intersection motor vehicle accidents in RI involve carelessness when motorists ignore common traffic rules and laws. In addition, many of these types of East providence, Woonsocket and Pawtucket accidents are the result of negligent driving, when the motorist is distracted (such as texting while driving) or impaired by drugs or alcohol. The most common accidents involve:
• Running a red light or stop sign that causes a side impact crash or head-on collision
• Making a left or right turn while neglecting to ensure that other vehicles are not in the intersection or approaching
• Driving inattentively and not seeing traffic lights and stop signs that often results in a rear end crash occurring just before the intersection
• Driving fatigued causing reduced reaction time, diminished capacity and impaired motor function
• Excessive speed for the condition of the roadway
• Not adequately judging distance of approaching vehicles entering the intersection
• Poor visibility that can block line of sight
• Adverse weather conditions that cause icy, wet or rainy road surfaces
• Bright sunshine during near dawn or dusk that impairs visibility
-distracted driving such as looking at a gps, texting and driving or using a cell phone
Defective Intersection Design in Rhode Island
Some intersections are dangerous due to a defective design because it does not adequately provide full visibility to every driver or does not have clearly defined designated lanes. Any dangerous road condition or limited visibility can easily contribute to serious intersection motor vehicle accidents.
Legal Liability in Rhode Island
Without witnesses or a video recording, determining what parties are at fault for intersection motor vehicle / car / truck / automobile (auto) accidents can be complex and confusing. It often takes the skills of an experienced Rhode Island personal injury attorney to reconstruct the scene to determine which parties can be held legally responsible.
Through a comprehensive investigation, the Providence law firm specializing in intersection car collisions can determine if the RI accident was the result of a failure to yield, disobeying traffic signals or any other condition including excessive speed.
Victims suffering serious injuries or family members of a loved one killed in an intersection accident in Rhode island usually have the legal right to file a claim for compensation from every party at fault. Obtaining compensation is important because victims typically face numerous substantial financial, physical, emotional and mental challenges.
Hiring an aggressive Warwick, Cranston, Central Falls or Riverside personal injury attorney to handle every aspect of a financial claim ensures the victim’s rights remain protected. Reputable North providence, Newport, East greenwich law firms have access to numerous resources for tracking down witnesses, obtaining and analyzing intersection signal sequencing and experts who can reconstruct the entire scene of the accident.